We did it! Bouldin Cafe inspired this chipotle-pecan pesto, but we ended up with a product that we, dare say, love even better. This pesto is addictive and versatile. It’s perfect for sandwiches and roasted vegetables, as well as wraps, bowls, and salads. Pesto is a versatile ingredient.
You’ll be sure to agree after you try this creamy, nutty, and smoky creation! What’s the best part? Just 5 minutes and only nine ingredients are required. Only one blender is also needed. Let’s make some pesto!
How to Make Chipotle Pecan Pesto
Pecans provide a rich, creamy base, while Chipotle Peppers, in adobo (also known as adobo) sauce, add a smoky punch. Our go-to sidekick, it’s perfect for tacos, chililaquiles, salad dressing… and more. Find out more about this versatile ingredient by clicking here.
Garlic and nutritional yeast give it extra flavors, and the sea salt brings out the best in everything.
The liquid ingredients used to make pesto are olive oil and water. Lemon juice is also a part of the mixture.
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- Two cloves garlic, peeled
- One chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (canned*)
- 1 1/2 to 2 tsp of adobo (from cans of chipotles).
- Sun-dried tomato 2 tbsp (rehydrated, if it’s dry // reduce the olive oil if in oil // we prefer Trader Joe’s julienne-cut sun-dried tomato)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Fresh lemon juice, 1 tbsp
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Maple syrup – 1-2 teaspoons
- Add all ingredients to a small mixer or a food processor (for a chunkier version of pesto). (Pecan, garlic chips, adobo, sun-dried tomato, olive oil water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, maple syrup, and nutritional yeast). Blend for 15-30 seconds or until mostly smooth.
- Add more salt to taste if needed. You can also add more maple syrup if you want it sweeter, more lemon juice if you like brightness or chipotle for heat.
- Serve with roasted vegetables, tacos, or bowls. Also great on pasta, sandwiches, salads, and more! Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to one month.