This is what a Butterfinger would look like if it were a cupcake! These peanut butter chocolate cupcakes combine a moist gluten-free chocolate cake mix and a rich vegan peanut butter frosting to create a cupcake combo that will make you drool!
This vegan and gluten-free mix is also naturally sweetened and super simple to make.
Add oil, vanilla, and water to the mixture and whisk. Take a minute to admire how rich, silky, and sexy the chocolate cake batter looks. We’ll wait.
Natural oil separation makes it difficult to mix natural peanut butter with frosting.
After some trials, we found that whipping up the peanut butter with powdered sugar stabilizes it, allowing you to create a light, fluffy frosting. It’s magic!
Whip up fluffy peanut butter clouds. We won’t hold you responsible if you sample a few fingers full (we did, too).
The only thing left is to marry the perfect flavor combination of all time – CHOCOLATE + PEANUT BUTTER. ).
Sprinkle chopped roasted nuts on top of the frosting to add a salty crunch.
It’s time to sample! Prepare yourself for an eyes-roll-back-in-head type of moment.
- Package Minimalist Chocolate Cake + Cupcake mix
- Fourteen cups of natural creamy peanut butter (make sure it contains only peanuts as the main ingredient).
- Powdered sugar, 1 cup (organic if vegan-friendly).
- We used Miyoko’s for our vegan butter.
- 14 cups finely chopped salted roasted peanuts
- CUPCAKES – Prepare cupcakes in chocolate according to the instructions on the package. Let the cupcakes cool down completely.
- Frosting: Add powdered sugar and natural peanut butter to a medium-sized mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, whip the mixture well so that the powdered sugar absorbs all the oil from the peanut butter. The oil won’t separate in the future. This is the normal state of the peanut butter.
- Add the vegan butter softened to the peanut mixture. Whip slowly increasing the speed from low to high. Whip until the mixture is light, fluffy, and free of peanut butter.
- You can store the frosting in a refrigerator for later use or at room temperature for up to an hour. For last use, store it in an airtight jar and keep it in the fridge to prevent melting. Let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before using. Please give it a good mix.
- Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to place 1 1/2- 2 Tbsp on each cupcake. Repeat this process until all cupcakes are topped with frosting. You can evenly divide the frosting between the cupcakes if there’s any leftover. Use an offset knife or spatula to smooth the tops of the cupcakes. If you like, you can give it a swirl!
- TOPPING: Sprinkle one teaspoon of finely chopped peanuts on top of each cupcake. Store in the fridge for up to 2 days. However, they’re best consumed within 24 hours. You can store unfrosted cupcakes in the freezer for up to one month.