- 8 oz (about 225g) tempeh, cubed
- Two tablespoons of soy sauce
- One tablespoon of hoisin sauce
- One tablespoon of rice vinegar
- One tablespoon of maple syrup or agave nectar
- One tablespoon of sesame oil
- One tablespoon vegetable oil (for cooking)
- One onion, thinly sliced
- Two bell peppers, thinly sliced (use a mix of colors for visual appeal)
- Two carrots julienned
- Three cloves garlic, minced
- One tablespoon of ginger, minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup snap peas, ends trimmed
- Cooked rice or noodles for serving
- Sesame seeds and chopped green onions for garnish (optional)
In a bowl, toss the cubed tempeh with one tablespoon of soy sauce. Let it marinate while you prepare the other ingredients.
Make Stir-Fry Sauce:
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining one tablespoon of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, and maple syrup. Set aside.
Heat vegetable oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the marinated tempeh cubes and cook until golden brown on all sides. Remove the tempeh from the pan and set it aside.
In the same pan, add a bit more oil if needed. Sauté the sliced onion, bell peppers, carrots, garlic, and ginger until the vegetables are slightly tender but still crisp.
Add Broccoli and Snap Peas:
Add the broccoli florets and snap peas to the pan. Continue to stir-fry for an additional 2-3 minutes until the broccoli is vibrant green and the snap peas are tender-crisp.
Combine and Cook:
Return the cooked tempeh to the pan. Pour the stir-fry sauce over the tempeh and vegetables. Toss everything together and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
Serve the tempeh stir-fry over cooked rice or noodles. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onions if desired.
This quick and flavorful tempeh stir-fry is a great way to incorporate plant-based protein and a variety of vegetables into your meal. Enjoy!