When I drink coffee, I prefer decaf cold brew, as it is less acidic and has a lower caffeine content, which makes it easier on my nervous system and stomach.
We created this 5-ingredient Smoothie that is naturally sweetened and customizable. It is also similar to a chocolate milkshake. Swoon! We’ll show you the way.
After the coconut milk cubes have frozen, add them to a High-Speed Blender with the coffee.
Add banana for sweetness and creaminess. Avoid adding too much, as the banana flavor can become overwhelming. Here, the coffee flavor should be dominant.
Maple syrup balances out the bitterness from the cacao and coffee while adding sweetness to the banana.
We like to add cacao nibs as a crunch when serving. Coconut whipped cream is another great option.
COCONUT MILK Ice Cubes
- 34 cup coconut cream, or coconut cream, if you prefer a richer smoothie. Freeze extra to use in the future.
- If you don’t like coffee, use 1-2 tsp Dandy Blend (adjust amount as necessary)
- One small banana, peeled and sliced (don’t add too much banana, or it will be overpowering)
- You will need 5-6 standard-size coconut milk ice cubes.
- 1 1/2 tsp cacao powder
- Use 1-2 teaspoons of maple syrup or substitute other sweeteners to your taste.
FOR SERVING optional
- Cacao nibs
- Day Before Pour the coconut milk into a bowl. Ice cube tray Freeze until solid (about 6 hours, or overnight). The night before, peel, thinly shave and freeze the bananas.
- Preparation of your cold brew should be done the day before. To do this, grind 1 cup of coffee to a semi-coarse consistency (about the same texture as sea salt), and then add 2 cups of filtered cool water. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or for 12 hours).
- THE DATE OF Strain the coffee through a very fine sieve or coffee filter (we prefer to use a CHEMX coffee maker and paper cone filter).
- Add (filtered) cold-brew coffee (with ice), frozen bananas, coconut milk, cacao powder, and maple syrup to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, adding coconut milk or more coffee if needed. Be careful not to make it too thin.
- Add more maple syrup to increase sweetness. You can also add coconut ice cubes or cacao powder to enhance chocolate flavor. Add cacao nibs if desired. Serve. Fresh is best. Store covered in the refrigerator and let it thaw out before eating.