Do you want to enjoy roasted poultry but don’t have the time to make it? We’re the same! We’ve got a solution. Hello to your NEW weeknight favorite: Lemon and herb-roasted Chicken Thighs. You can enjoy all the benefits of roast chicken with less effort and a half-hour.
The chicken thighs in this recipe are perfect for preparing for a weeknight meal or as a quick meal, but they’re also elegant enough to serve as the centerpiece of a dinner party. This is our favorite type of recipe! Seven ingredients and thirty minutes are all that’s needed. We’ll show you exactly how to do it!
How to make Lemon and herb-roasted chicken thighs
Combining some dried spices and herbs is the first step to flavorful chicken thighs. Italian herbs (basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes) are combined with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to create a super-savory and balanced blend.
The chicken thighs are then generously coated with spices and placed in the pan. There is no need to wait or marinate! Start with the skin-side down to get crispy goodness.
It’s time to garnish the chicken thighs after both sides have been cooked on the stovetop. Fresh herbs and lemons are great for adding moisture and flavor, as well as stunning beauty. After all, we eat first with our eyes!
Finally, they are ready for you to enjoy.
- 4 (6-8 oz. Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (pastured or organic whenever possible)
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs (or sub 1 tsp dried basil + 1 tsp dried oregano)
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp. Red pepper flakes (optional).
- Black pepper, 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- One medium lemon thinly sliced into rounds
- 3-4 Tbsp of fresh, hardy herbs. (thyme rosemary sage // torn from thick stems // optional ).
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and place a 10-inch cast iron pan (or another oven-safe skillet on the stovetop).
- Combine the Italian herbs with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes (optional), and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Season the chicken thighs with the seasoning mix on both sides. The chicken thighs should be evenly and well-seasoned.
- Add the avocado or olive oil to the skillet and heat it over medium-high. Once the oil has heated up, add the chicken legs and sear each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown crust forms.
- Add your herbs of choice at this time: Rosemary, thyme, and sage (optional). Add your selection of spices at this point: Rosemary (optional), thyme, and sage.
- The internal temperature should be 170°F. Make sure to use a thermometer that doesn’t touch the bone for an accurate reading.
- Remove the dish from the oven and allow it to rest for about 5 minutes in the pan before serving. Ours is best served with roasted potato and our dairy-free easy pesto. The sauce made by baking the chicken in olive oil with lemon is delicious and can be served as a side dish to serve over the potatoes and chicken!
- The best is when it’s fresh. However, leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat the food in the microwave or oven until it is hot. This product is not freezer-friendly.